Sunday 9 July 2017

Memoir: The Growth of Self-Confidence

          
          As a Grade nine student, I kept to myself and never took any academic or social risks, as I was new to the school and fairly quiet. To my surprise, I was confronted one day within the first week of school by my Gifted teacher, Mrs. Carducci. She chose me to speak on behalf of my entire grade at the open house Father John Redmond Catholic Secondary School was hosting for the elementary students. I was told to go meet with Mr. McGrade, the head of the drama and dance programs, to find out more specifics regarding the speech. The information I was asked to discuss revolved around the different academic and art programs I was involved in and how much I enjoyed them. These programs included the Advanced Placement Program in Math, Science, and English, the Gifted Program, and the RAP Dance Program. I was hesitant at first to accept the offer due to my lack of self-confidence, but I decided to face my fears and hope for the best. 

          Once I confirmed with Mr. McGrade that I would read my speech at the open house, I began brainstorming different ideas and concepts to discuss. Luckily, it was the first week of school and the infrequent amount of homework I received made it fairly easy to balance writing my speech and schoolwork at the same time. I regularly met with Mr. McGrade to receive feedback on the content of my speech and the way I was orating it. Thanks to his fine editing skills, I felt more confident than ever to present my own personal speech to an audience full of eager students and parents with listening ears. 

          This significant event depicts one of the prime moments in my life where I broke out of my shell and possessed confidence. I had always been an extremely shy individual and this event helped me greatly by improving the way I present myself. Throughout my years of elementary school, I was always known as the shy girl who rarely spoke. I hated being referred to as an introverted individual and this speech allowed me to prove to the world and myself that my voice will always be heard. 

          When the time came to present my speech, all the fear and unease I felt when I was given the opportunity disappeared. I was no longer scared, but hopeful and confident that I would do an amazing job; and that is exactly what I did. I got up there and recited my speech perfectly without jumbling any of my words! I was completely comfortable while standing on the podium and showed no signs of nervousness whatsoever. 

          Once I finished reading my speech, I heard the loudest round of applause I had ever heard in my life! The incredible sense of pride I felt that night will never be forgotten. As people in the audience confronted me to compliment my performance, my self-esteem was boosted greatly. Students lacking self-confidence need to be optimistic and realize that school does not always need to be a constant battle. Everyone’s voice deserves to be heard. I am sure no one would have ever thought that the student to speak in front of hundreds of people on behalf of the Grade nines would be me, Micaela Schaefer. But I proved them wrong. I proved them all wrong. 


3 Tips to Boost Your Confidence

No comments:

Post a Comment