Monday 10 July 2017

"Suitcase Lady": Making Connections

          If I was walking down Queen Street in Toronto and a homeless person asked me for money, I would only give it to them if they looked like a genuine individual who would put the money to good use. If a homeless person looked to be a drug addict with a rugged appearance and ungrateful attitude, I definitely would not give them money because I know they would only spend it on one thing, drugs.


          My reaction reveals that my values in life are to have faith in others that they will put the money to good use and have compassion for those deserving of it. I do not believe that homeless people should beg strangers for money just so they can buy harmful substances and destroy their bodies. While food and water ensure human survival, drugs certainly do not.


          I have seen the side effects of addiction firsthand with a family member and would not wish that life upon anyone. My commitment towards helping grateful homeless individuals is prominent when I am walking through the city of Toronto and I plan on keeping it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment